Monday, May 16, 2011

HW 55 - Culminating Project - Care of the Dead

The last celebration of my life is partially dependent on how my life is lived. If I am blind to my expiration date then I would like my parents to peacefully toil it out amongst themselves. Even though this wouldn’t be the least stressful way of going about planning my last birthday of sorts, it would certainly be accurate for how things were during my upbringing. This is not a negative statement; I think it would be simplistically weird if after I died the 3 thirds of my family felt comfortable together again.

But let me not be so critical, because if I am wobbling around as an 75 year old mother, grandmother, and or wife then I will throw the sincerest going away party my great, my grand, and my children will ever experience. After gaining some generation perspective from this unit I figure there must come a point when so many people around you have died that you are no longer known as a daughter or son, only as Mom and some variation of Nana. I would hope that the party happens before any of my senses significantly deteriorate. It would be great if the party could be outside near some kind of water source, grass and sunshine would be ideal; the East River Drive 6th st. would be exceptional. It’s important that the guests are comfortable; sports equipment would be great for the flexible ones. But the two most important things would be A: the food is dreamily delicious and B: it’s at least 80 degrees out also country music as background sound would be fantastic. At some point during the party I would have everyone group together and relax for a little during this time I will disperse souvenirs. Assuming that by the age of 77 or 81 I have gained great wisdom and thoughts upon life I will make an impact on my fellow party goers. Months before this event I will have begun to organize to whom I am giving what. Some people will receive items; some will receive stories, some song lyrics. The day of food and jokes will end as does every day and everyone will pack up their sticky faced kids and re watch their memories of our experiences together as they drive home.  Then for a moment the red illumination of a stoplight will reflect off a tear rolling down a sun caressed cheek. The tear will absorb into a cotton t shirt and that will be the only remnant of sadness towards my death. Once I’m really dead I want my family (children) to dispose of my body the most morally responsible cheapest fashion. Assuming that the food costs from my going away party weren’t 30 grand by the time I am 79 I would like the money saved from having a funeral service to go to sending the people who were closest to me on vacation for as long as the money will last (minimum of a week). If I do get cremated then they are welcomed to scatter my ashes on to an exotic coast line. 

3 comments:

  1. I find the idea of having a pre-death celebration very interesting. A way to be honored and to honor one's family. A goodbye reunion of sorts. I find the lack of selfishness to be heartening also. That you are more concerned about the comfort of the guests and their gustatory satisfaction over any gifts or attention on you. The gifts are also very special in that they are not important based on their monetary value but on the emotional, spiritual significance. Lastly, i think the idea of sending the family on vacation and taking the deceased along post-mortem is great. A way to relive the stress of losing a loved one and also to scatter the ashes in possibly a new and beautiful place. Maybe somewhere the deceased always wanted to go but never could. Who says travel has to stop just because you die. ---mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm very excited about my older sister wanting to send her family on vacation but its wouldn't be worth her dying for. this is a strange project for her to write up her death plan isn't that being pessimistic? i thought her description at some parts was very engaging but wished it was a little more constant through out her post. - Theo (little brother)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amanda,

    Your post was very dynamic. Your decisions on how you want to be taken care of when you die reflect who you are as a person now; outgoing, food-loving, and most importantly, happy. I really hope that you get the sending off party that you described in your blog. And I also hope that it won't be family only. I would be really upset if I wasn't invited. :)
    If you've ever been to Roosevelt Island, by the lighthouse, I think you'll find that scenery a much more soothing place for your party then your current plans right now. Go to Roosevelt Island one day and you'll be thanking me for suggesting that idea to you.
    Another aspect of your future plans that I liked was that you really care about how comfortable your guests will be in your party. It seems like you will be extremely cross with your guests if they do not have a good time and mope about your poor health. I think that desire for making sure others have a good time is very selfless and really reflects a positive image on you as a person.
    Again, I hope all your hopes and plans become a reality one day. Good post buddy.

    Abdullah

    ReplyDelete